Saturday, March 19, 2011

Setting up my Studio

Sneak peak of a wool and silk piece I'm working on in my new studio space.

Just over a month ago I started as the Fiber Artist-in-Residence at the Lux Center for the Arts. I am grateful for the space and excited to start teaching classes this summer. So far I feel like I've spent my residency just finding supplies and setting up my area. It's definitely a challenge when the many techniques I do--dyeing, printing, felting, papermaking (luckily I've chosen to limit all my bookmaking to my home)--require their own set of newly-purchased equipment and table space. Thank you Grandparents, for setting up a college-fund that I forgot about during college! Here is what I've figured out so far:

My desk serves many functions--in addition to my writing area, it holds my pot, hot plate and kettle (don't worry, I don't plan to use the burner with those fabrics hanging so closely above!), bucket of mordanting silk, and covers my drying system for newly made paper. 
This is one of the random stations in my space--paper pulp next to drying onion skins, the latter courtesy of thé Cup where I just started working several weeks ago. My coworkers are so nice to save these for me! I can't wait to see what shades of yellow and orange they give my silk. 

This is a view of the Fiber Room, which I share with the Painting Artist-in-Residence. I hope he doesn't get too frustrated with my goldfish syndrome or the smell of wet animal hair and onions.

The Lux even has a tiny beater! This was the selling point for me--when I saw that they had a beater to make paper pulp, I applied for the residency within two days. I have yet to use it--I'm waiting for Tim to build me a stand for the motor to sit on--but I look forward to the day when I can make my first beater load. I'm sure it will take quite awhile to prepare a pound of fiber in that tiny tank, but it's infinitely better than using a blender! 

A base layer of merino wool for an upcoming felted piece. Another random but necessary station. 

If anyone out there is working on their spring cleaning and would like to see their cast-aways go to a creative use, I am still on the lookout for:

  • bath towels
  • food processor
  • shelves 
  • long tables--I'm thinking those white plastic ones for picnics and potlucks
  • electric tea kettle (I bought one already, but could always use more for teaching)
  • panty hose (to cut the legs off and use as ties. perfect use for the ones you've snagged!)
  • stainless steel pots of any size
  • dish drying rack
  • iron
  • measuring spoons/cups
  • egg timer
  • rain gutters
  • Assistants--welcome any time!
Tim photographed me listing out the supplies I still need during my first First Friday event at the Lux. It's been strange starting to refer to myself as "artist" rather than "student" when I meet people. I guess if an organization lets me into their space as an artist, it must finally be true of me? It's been an exciting journey getting here--I can't wait to see where it continues to take me!


No comments:

Post a Comment